St Nicholas Church - Kings Norton - spire

0
Title St Nicholas Church - Kings Norton - spire
Description
New shots of St Nicholas Church in Kings Norton, this time taken from the churchyard. Church of St Nicholas, Birmingham THE GREEN 1. 5104 (north-west side) Kings Norton B38 Church of St Nicholas SP 0478 NE 58/1 25.4.52 I 2. Substantial medieval church of sandstone with nave, aisles, chancel and west tower with spire, south porch. Norman origin but predominantly late C13 and C14. Major feature of C15 west tower and spire with contemporary south porch, gabled clerestory a C17 addition chancel restored with considerable reconstruction by Ewan Christian C1863. North aisle rebuilt with the old materials and vestry added to north west end in the restoration of 1872 by W J Hopkins. The chancel retains 2 reset C12 round arched windows in the north wall, and was probably rebuilt in the early C13 with a further rebuild in the C14. Major rebuilding commenced late C13 with the 7 bay north aisle arcade, the south aisle arcade being early C14 - octagonal and quatrefoil clustered shaft piers, but one circular. Arches of 2 chamfered orders. C14 chancel arch of 2 orders with ball flower ornament to inner one, south aisle windows with hood moulds C14: north aisle windows altered in 1872 restoration. The tower and spires of the C15: 4 stages, the belfry arcade to each face with 4 2-light mullioned-transomed windows, outer ones blind, all with crocketted gabled drip moulds with finials. Crenellated parapet with corner pinnacles, the graceful octagonal spire rising above in 3 stages, the south porch also C15 with remains of a crocketed image bracket above the doorway in the gable. Inside the porch the carved corner corbels indicate the original intention to vault in stone. In C1659 (dated beam) the 3 gables containing the south clerestory were added, those to the north removed in the rebuilding of the north aisle of 1872. Good C16 and C17 monuments mostly grouped under the tower, noteworthy for its strapwork the alabaster altar-tomb with recumbent effigies of Sir Richard Grevis and 1632 and his wife. The church holds a commanding position on a hillock set in a churchyard on the north side of the green. The tower is a landmark. Listing NGR: SP0493878958 New shots of the spire.
Photo's author ell brown User stats Author's photos
License
Source Flickr ID 7005689117
Date 22 Mar 2012 10:43:12
Retrieved from source on
Tools Flinfo

Update

Nearby

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus