Poplar: Saint Frideswide's Mission House, Lodore Street, E14…

23
Title Poplar: Saint Frideswide's Mission House, Lodore Street, E14 Saint Frideswide's Mission House was built in 1892 here in Lodore Street and was originally a mission run by Christ Church, Oxford. At first services were held in a room in this Mission House, but a church was later built in Follett Street at the junction with Lodore Street, where the building on the right is now. The Church was severely damaged during the Blitz, completely demolished in 1947 and never rebuilt. Behind the black railings at the top of the stone entranceway is a small statue, presumably of the eponymous saint. Saint Frideswide is the patron saint of Oxford, accredited with the founding of Christ Church, hence the connection.
Photo's author Nigel Cox User stats Author's photos
License
Source Wikimedia Commons image
Date 19 Aug 2008 00:00:00
Original size 640 x 480
Retrieved from source on
Tools

Nearby

Actions

Update

Comments

blog comments powered by Disqus
51° 30′ 44.27″ N 0° 0′ 36.45″ W
51.51230 -0.01012

Greater London, London, England, United Kingdom osm

County Greater London
Region England
Country United Kingdom

Nearby